Monday, June 28, 2010

Susan

I mentioned in my previous post all of the great people I get to work with in my current role. None of those people are more dear to me than my friend Susan. She and I have shared a 10’ x 10’ office for more than 5 years. Think about it. How many people would you want to spend 32-40 hours a week with in a space that size? I spend as much time with her as I do my husband and children…at some points more. She's essentially my cell mate.

In a stroke of luck beyond measure we get along beautifully and are great friends. In the time we’ve worked with one another I’ve gone from a girl dating Alex to wife and mother of two. We know EVERYTHING about each other. There is no such thing as a personal call in our office. She knows more about me than my husband does. Poor thing.

Our team recently moved to a new office building which forced the two of us to separate. Although she’s just a cubicle wall away, it has still been a tough transition. I’m not able to confide in her like I used to or offer as much support to her through her difficult days. Of course I only have a few weeks left at work so perhaps it has been a helpful transition for us.

As I make the big leap to a stay-at-home-mom there are certainly many aspects of my job that I will miss…ummmmm, the coffee cart comes to mind….none more so than Susan, however. I am forever grateful for her friendship and support. I am always here for you my friend!

The following is an e-mail conversation between Susan and myself that inspired this blog. This should give you an idea of the comradery between us. I was feeling very proud that I was one of the first 10 people to reply to a hidden message where a lanyard was the prize. (Read top to bottom)
_____________________________________________
From: Linke, Stacey Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 12:29 PM
To: Choi, SusanSubject: Want a Lanyard?

I scored you a pretty lanyard this morning. It’s my attempt to make up to you the fact that I’m leaving. I figure a “lanyard in a fun fashion color for summer” ought to do it. ;-)_____________________________________________
From: Choi, Susan Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 12:31 PM
To: Linke, StaceySubject: RE: Want a Lanyard?

Ohhhhhh pretty lanyard! Waaaiiiit one minute, this sounds vaguely like a bribe. . . .
_____________________________________________
From: Linke, Stacey Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 12:33 PM
To: Choi, SusanSubject: RE: Want a Lanyard?

Call it what you like, it’s still going to be a lovely gift. I suspect there are more than 10 of these lanyards in existence but you can still strut down the hall feeling superior to others with your exclusive lanyard.
_____________________________________________
From: Choi, Susan Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 12:34 PM
To: Linke, StaceySubject: RE: Want a Lanyard?

You’re so sweet! I’ll take it as a reminder of your brief but wonderful time with me here *sob*
_____________________________________________
From: Linke, Stacey Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 12:38 PM
To: Choi, SusanSubject: RE: Want a Lanyard?

Just don’t stroke the lanyard because that would be weird.
_____________________________________________
From: Choi, Susan Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 12:47 PM
To: Linke, StaceySubject: RE: Want a Lanyard?

Fair enough. I won’t do that. I’ll just sleep with it.
_____________________________________________
From: Linke, Stacey Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 1:12 PM
To: Choi, SusanSubject: RE: Want a Lanyard?

Right….because that’s not weird at all.

No comments: