Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Mean Boy

Max has been wrapping up his terrible 2's with a bang. Oh.my.word. For the past 2 weeks he has been a hitting and kicking machine. It's frustrating beyond words to see how defiant he is and how mean to his sister. Today he took a plastic golf club and smacked me in the arm full force, leaving a pink mark that is still there hours later. Today alone he lost tv privileges, had several toys and a popsicle taken away and had to leave Nana's house early.

I'm not sure of the cause. He has gone through a major change in routine with me staying at home with him yet I know that he likes being at home. I'll occasionally ask him about his teachers and friends and ask him if he wants to go visit. The answer is always "No, I stay wish you."

I can tell that part of it is just being a bit emotionally immature and lashing out instead of explaining his frustration or looking for other options. This makes me think that it's a great thing that we plan on holding him back a year in school. (His bday is 2 weeks shy of the cut off)

For now I'll just keep attempting negative consequences for his bad choices. This phase will pass eventually.

1 comment:

Patti said...

Well, at least we know Max is completely, totally, and utterly normal!! Lol. The whole thing from 2-5 is pure crazy, no matter what consequences you instill nor fantastic parenting you may give. You just have to survive it! There's a good video called "The Happiest Toddler On The Block" that can be very helpful. Mostly, just try to remain sane, take breaks, remind yourself that it is really, really, really hard to be two (and three, four...) for the kid as well...lots of changes afoot for Mad Max! And know that anyone else with kids will know exactly what you're going through when they see a fit or some sort of chaos...we've all been there and know it isn't anything you are doing to cause this. This is life!! Just go into survival mode and make the best of it!!