Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What Will You Do For A Lollipop?


Max turned 3 last week and starts preschool soon so Alex and I decided that we had better get moving on potty training Max. We've brought up the concept to Max before but he has never shown an interest. Big boys go potty in the toilet? I don't care. Big boys wear underwear? I don't like them. Sigh! We knew this wasn't going to be easy. Or was it? As I've recently discovered, it's amazing what motivates my son.

On Monday we loaded into the van for a trip to the store to pick out treats for Max's potty prize basket. We stocked the cart with super balls, M&Ms, gummy bears and Max's personal favorite...the Dum Dum lollipops. Max started using the potty as soon as we got home and hasn't turned back. What. the. heck?! If I knew all it took was a bag of Dum Dums I would have started this weeks ago.

This kid is a rock star...albeit a pantless one. He's not to fond of the underwear and prefers to walk around the house naked from the waist down. Bear that in mind the next time you sit on our leather couch. ;-) Anyhow, he has done great. He bolts to the bathroom on his own, removes his own clothes (when applicable) and stayed dry through a shopping trip to Target today. I'm aware that some kids don't like to go #2 on the potty but Max has that one down. I'm super proud of him although I know it's often a 2 steps forward, 1 step back process. For now he's doing very well. Great job, Max!!!!

5 comments:

Glory Laine said...

Good things happen when you don't potty train too early. We should write a book. We could call it, "Save Yourself the Trouble and Don't Train Them Until They Can Wipe Their Own Ass." We'll be rich! Is that Oprah on the line?

Stacey said...

Love it, Becca! You always make me laugh.

Shelby said...

How did I miss this?!! Good job Maxy!

Shelby said...

P.S. Will you please allow "followers" on your blog so I can add you to my list and see whenever you post a new blog? It would make it much easier for me. And I know you want to make life easier for your little sister, right?!

Stacey said...

I will if I can figure it out, Shelb.