Thursday, October 14, 2010

Max's First Field Trip

Max listens closely to the cider demo

Max and I passed a mother/son milestone today with our first field trip. We went to a pumpkin patch in Aurora with his preschool class. Mya stayed with Nana, oblivious to what she was missing out on. That will only last so long.

We arrived at the pumpkin patch by 9:15 and were excited to discover that they're store was selling freshly made pumpkin and apple cider doughnuts. Oh they were beautiful. I can still picture the grease stained bags. Max was also entranced in the gift shop but it was the pumpkin carving knives that caught his eye. I ended up buying him one and he carried it (in it's packaging) during the field trip.
Max was excited to see his friends and their parents arrive. Our first stop on the tour was a demonstration of an apple cider press. Max was thrilled with the machinery. Something about the smashing apples, chopped bits and grinding wheels I suppose. He passed on the tasting table so that we could try out the press himself.

After the press we visited chicks, goats, a llama, calf, pigs and big chickens. Max though they were okay but wasn't overly impressed. He did enjoy running through the hay maze on the way to the giant slide. He beat me to the top and I never did see him go down. I ended up sliding down by myself at the end of the pack. Yay me.

Max certainly is an independent child. He would spy something across the field and would take off without a backward glance for me or his teachers. He made his way to the nut house at one point and piled in there with another class of children. I definitely have to keep an eye on him in crowds.

We finally made it to the field and Max was excited to pick out 2 pumpkins, one for himself and Mya. A hay ride to the parking lot and we were done. I stripped him in the back of the van, changed him into clean clothes and we hit the road. Overall, it was a great success!


Mrs. Jolene high fives Max's pumpkin choice

No comments: