Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Transition

The Linke family has been undergoing quite a bit of transition lately. After waiting over 2 years, we finally received notice that the daycare at my work had an opening for Max. The only way he got in was because Mya also made it in, giving him sibling status, and moving him to the top of the list. Apparently the center is in such high demand that if you don't get in as an infant your chances are slim of ever getting in. Openings in toddler rooms are typically filled by children in the younger rooms. My understanding is that Max will be the first "outsider" in 2 years in his class.

It has never been my dream to put my children in daycare. In an ideal world I would stay home with them. However there are bills to be paid and we're thankful that we have a great daycare to bring them to.

Mya started up in the Ladybug Room last week. It's a very nice space with a wall full of windows, it's own courtyard area and a semi private sleeping room. Mya's favorite spot is to be perched in the bouncy seat cuddling her blankie. I proudly share that this is the same blankie that I quilted for her out of velboa fabric. For some reason it makes me feel good that the item she is so attached to is something I made for her. Anyway, she has transitioned well and Robyn and Pam, her teachers, take great care of her. I love that I can bring home her daily sheet that tells me exactly when she ate and slept as well as a summary of her day.

Max starts up in the Twig Room on Monday. This is also a very nice space, filled with great activities, a wall full of windows and access to an outdoor play area that is a kids' dream. It's going to be a tougher transition for him since he has become especially attached to me during my leave. Alex and I took him in this past Friday for a little orientation time. He had fun sitting in the circle for music time but was especially thrilled by the paints.

Today I brought him back for a 2.5 hour drop off. He had a tough time watching me go but did well after I left. Karen, the lead teacher, assures me that he will do well. I'm also fond of the kids in his class. None of them have the "just-wait-until-that-teacher-looks-away" vibe about them. 2 of the little girls kissed Mya goodbye when we left today. He has another drop off day on Friday to help ease the transition.

All in all it is going well. It seems to be toughest on me. Although I'm grateful that we have a great place to care for our kids, it's an emotional beating to transition 2 kids at once. I may take up drinking soon. ;-)

No comments: