Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Worshiping False Idols


See the contraption above? It's my new best friend. Why? Because it makes my daughter go nighty-night. We have to pay daycare providers an obscene amount of money to do that. This soother does it for the one-time price of $34.99. I love you Precious Planet Soother.
As you know, Mya has been having a difficult time with sleep recenlty due to her flu, teething, growth spurts, and just because she can. It was around this age with Max that we sleep trained him so that we could put him to bed awake and have him put himself to sleep. My mommy amnesia has stolen away all recollection of how we did this (large amounts of Benadryl?) so we've started anew with Mya.
Currently Mya's bedtime routine is that I swaddle her in her velcro blanket, snuggle her on the My Brest Friend and nurse her to sleep in the rocking chair in her room. Once she is completely asleep I transfer her to her crib. At daycare they lay her in the crib and rock it as needed until she konks out.
My ingenious idea was to buy a crib soother like Max has so that she can start associating that sound and sight with sleep. Unfortunately they don't make his particular brand of soother anymore and I wasn't too impressed with the features and/or reviews of the others that are made. Whatever, I settled on this one and brought it home. I started playing the music while I'm feeding her, hoping that she would start to associate the sounds with comfort and sleep. By golly, it seems to have worked. Last night and tonight I was able to feed her to the music, lay her in bed awake but drowsy, turn on the music and she put herself to sleep. Tonight I fed her swaddle-free and she still put herself to sleep to the music.
Better put batteries on the Costco list!

2 comments:

Glory Laine said...

Some day I want to write a book about getting kids to sleep. It will be short. Just two words really. Want to read it? Open the book and it says, "Whatever Works" the end.

Patti said...

Heck, if false idols help getting the kids to sleep----BRING ON THE FALSE IDOLS! ;o) I used the rainforest one like MAD for Sully. Ahhhhh.....zzzzzzzzzzzz.....